Happy Monday clean beauties!
I feel like it’s been YEARS since I’ve written a blog post (it’s only been a few weeks but still). My parents were visiting from home for the last month and like the good daughter that I am, I aimed my focus on spending time with them and showing them around beautiful LA (my new home for the next while). During the visit, I made a committment to unplug as much as possible which also meant taking some time off from the blog. Let me tell you, I’ve never felt so refreshed and inspired! I was able to clear my head, fill my heart with joy, furnish my apartment, lay on the beach guilt-free and brainstorm topics/ideas/projects for shelivesclean.com. Whoa! Maybe my parents should visit more often!
My parents are pretty big on leading a healthy lifestyle so the pressure to impress was real. I made this beauty smoothie for breakfast a couple of times and they were beyond excited about it – which made me very happy as I aim to please ;). What’s wonderful about this particular smoothie is that it’s naturally energizing and loaded with anti-aging, skin-friendly nutrients. Perfect for LA!
The star add-on in the beauty smoothie is the Mushroom Matrix Beauty Powder. I stumbled upon this product at this year’s Expo West – what made this product stand out was the fact that I’ve never heard of it (powdered mushroom? – excellent!), that it is certified organic, raw, gluten-free and that the packaging is so darn cute. Mushrooms are just chock-full of nutrients like vitamin D and most of us don’t eat enough of them. The particular blend that I use is the “Beauty” blend which includes a blend of mushrooms specific for boosting skin, hair and nail health. The addition of this powder amplifies nutrition but you can certainly forgo it as the remaining ingredients are just as powerful and skin-loving.
- Is one of the best sources of antioxidants like flavonoids. Antioxidants prevent premature aging as they neautralize free radicals.
- A powerhouse of vitamins and minerals that support skin health like magnesium and vitamin C (another powerful antixodiant!).
- Packed with living enzymes which are involved in every metabolic process in the body and a body that works efficiently produces beautiful results i.e. glowing skin.
- Rich source of omega-6 fatty acids which help balance out hormones and in turn, reducing
- Thanks to their high fatty acid content (at nearly 80% fat), avocados are incredibly moisturizing. Applying them topically onto the skin is also extremely effective in boosting moisture.
- Avocados are a wonderful source of Vitamin C which, beyond its antioxidant properties, plays a key role in collagen formation thus helping to reduce wrinkles to create beautiful, supple skin.
- Avocados are surprisngly very water-dense and hydrating.
- Much like raw cacao, goji berries are also extremely rich in skin-protecting antioxidants like vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- It’s chock full of vitamins and minerals like potassium and amino acids, both of which help to stimulate the production of growth hormone that keeps you looking youthful.
- Frequent consumption of goji berries will turn you into the energizer bunny! A boost in energy means you’ll be more inclined to move the booty and exercise = the fountain of youth.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp goji berries
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tsp mushroom powder (optional but highly reco'd)
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.