I made a big batch of my Almond n’ Hemp Basil Pesto this weekend and I haven’t been able to put it down.
I smothered my eggs with pesto this morning and now I’m enjoying some in my squash pasta — divine!
I love this dish so much because it combines some of my absolute favorite foods that are not only flavorful but liver-friendly, heart-strengthening and glow-inducing, too — typical foods you will often find in mediterranean cuisine (those Greeks know a thing or two about good health, just ask Peggy K! ;)) Of course, I’m talking about olives, olive oil, tomatoes and arugula. The pesto works so well in this dish though it’s not really a typical mediterranean addition. The basil leaf if CHOCKFUL of amazing nutrients, including volatile oils which help reduce bad bacteria in your gut while promoting growth of good bacteria.
If you haven’t tried the pesto yet, I suggest you do! Your meals will transform!
RECIPE: ALMOND N’ HEMP BASIL PESTO (You can also learn more about the health benefits of BASIL here).
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 3 tbsp Almond n' Hemp Pesto (see recipe)
- 2 free-range, organic chicken breasts, sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamanta olives
- 1/2 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finley
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 sticks of rosemary
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- Salt + Pep to taste
- Marinade chicken breast in turmeric, olive oil, salt + pep for about 15-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 370 F.
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds, drizzle on some olive oil and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork. Place a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat and add the coconut oil. Place chicken on the hot pan followed by the rosemary and cook until browned and somewhat crispy on the outside. Set Aside.
- Once squash is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Once cooled, scrape the inside of the squash with a fork - you should be getting spaghetti-like strands. Do the same with the second half.
- Add the "pasta to a bowl and add pesto. Mix thoroughly. Next, toss in the arugula, tomatoes and olives. Season with salt + pepper to taste. Top with chicken breast slices.
- Optional: Coat the chicken with extra pesto -- seriously divine!