Picture this: a protein bar that melts in your mouth like ice cream and has the texture of fudge. That’s exactly what these bars feel like!
I’m not a big proponent of over-the-counter protein bars — especially the ones that are packed in the shiny gold wrapping promising muscle gain and weight loss. In my opinion it’s total BS as they’re often loaded with sugar and even worse, high fructose corn syrup. Have you ever read the ingredients list on those things? There are chemicals in there that I can’t even pronounce let alone their astronomical calorie count. It’s always a safer bet to include protein in your diet via whole foods first and supplement with clean protein powders to add to smoothies whether they be whey or plant-based.
I understand that the convenience of these bars are the selling point as you can toss them in your purse or gym bag and be on your merry way but the convenience factor alone doesn’t trump their lack of nutritional value.
These bars are very simple to make, are mostly raw (except the cooked quinoa) which means no nutrients have been tampered with via heat and pack a mean protein punch amongst other essential nutrients like vitamin E, calcium, dietary fiber and essential fatty acids.
It’s best to keep them stored in the freezer as they will melt if left out in room temperature so I suggest you enjoy them as a snack at home with a big glass of chai tea. Delicious!
BONUS: I’ve teamed up with the gorgeous ladies at MADE IN NATURE and they were kind enough to provide a limited time only PROMO CODE ($2 OFF) for their online store. I’m absolutely obsessed with their coconut chips which are an essential ingredient in this recipe! Take advantage and load up on these amazing products.
PROMO CODE: SHELIVESCLEAN
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or 1/2 tsp powdered stevia)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup Madagascar Vanilla MADE IN NATURE coconut flakes
- In a food processor, add cooked quinoa, tahini, vanilla, maple syrup, coconut flakes and chia seeds and process until smooth.
- Slowly add the almond milk while processing followed by the melted coconut oil.
- Press mixture into a parchment paper lined bread pan.
- Sprinkle MADE IN NATURE coconut flakes on top, pressing them into the mixture.
- Place in the freezer and allow to set for at least an hour before slicing into bars.