I’m salivating just thinking of this dish! Below is my simple, go-to roast chicken recipe that I swear by (and just in time for the holidays, woot!). I’m a big roast chicken fan, for many nutritious reasons. A good, organic, free-range chicken offers up a major complete protein punch to any meal. You can almost always count on leftovers too which makes meals easy peasy throughout the week! It’s incredibly important that you make sure your whole chicken is certified ORGANIC as you’ll want to avoid all the unnecessary hormones, antibiotics, chemicals and GMO’s plus chickens raised organic are treated humanely which is bonus points for avoiding animal cruelty. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. If you’re serving my roast chicken for a holiday party, be sure to serve it on a fancy platter and surround it with festive deco like fresh herbs ie. see picture above.
Beata’s GO-TO Roast Chicken
- 1 medium-sized whole organic chicken, giblets removed
- 1 bunch fresh herbs (i.e. rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano) – about 2-3 sprigs of each
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 ‘wedges’
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp (for basting) organic unsalted butter or ghee
- Organic seasoning mix i.e. Italian seasoning, I like to use the organic no-salt seasoning from Costco but any blend of herbs+spices will do!
- Himalayan pink salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Place chicken on a roasting pan. Stuff the chicken with the fresh herb bunch, garlic cloves and 3 lemon wedges. Save the 4th for later.
3. Gently place the butter or ghee underneath the skin of the breast – both sides – about 1 tbsp per side.
4. Coat the top layer of the chicken in the seasoning mix. Generously salt and pepper the chicken.
5. If you have any remaining fresh herbs, chop them up (about 1-2 tbsp worth) and sprinkle on top of the chicken for extra flavor (I go nutty with the herbs!). Using the remaining lemon wedge, squeeze the juice on top of the chicken.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hr – 1 hr 15 minutes or until you notice the chicken is thoroughly baked. Uncover, place another tbsp of butter or ghee on top of the chicken and broil on high for another 10-15 minutes or until the skin is crispy and slightly browned.
7. Allow the chicken to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.