My non-negotiables are my healthy habits I’ve developed that I refuse to shake as they make me feel my best!! PS. habits are developed via trial and error – what works for one person may not work for another BUT as a Nutritionist I guarantee you that if you try at least one of my non-negotiables on for size, you’ll feel the tremendous effects.
1. I rarely begin my day with food. I opt for liquids instead – preferably cleansing elixirs like herbal teas, lemon water, apple cider vinegar + honey, water mixed with a greens powder or cold-pressed green juice. I usually wait at least an hour to eat my first morsel upon waking.
2. I eat fruit in between meals, rarely combining them with any other food groups except in smoothies. Fruit doesn’t take very long to digest so it’s best to eat by themselves to avoid fermentation in the gut if eaten with other foods. I absolutely NEVER eat fruit right after a meal. That’s just asking for a bloated belly!
3. I limit starches – i.e. beans and glutenous grains. Starches are tough on the digestive system – they require specific enzymes that most people lack which means they like to hang around in our guts for longer periods. Unfavorable bacteria get at them, have a feast and fermentation leading to bloating and gas. I try to avoid gluten as often as possible as it is a common allergen. Good news is that there are plenty of naturally gluten-free grains to enjoy in moderation.
4. I eat at least 1 salad a day if not more. Raw vegetables, particularly low-glycemic, non-starchy veggies are full of easily digestive vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients for optimal health and wellness. I feel like a million bux after a delicious green salad!
5. I move the booty for 1 hour at least 3 times per week. This includes any type of cardio like running, hiking, treadmill, elliptical, gym class etc with some weight training.
6. I don’t skip meat — I skip poor quality meat. Organic, grassfed, pastured are must-have meat credentials.
7. 60% of the time I skip coffee — I only drink it when it’s absolutely necessary aka I have a deadline or need help focusing! Coffee is both acidic and drains the batteries quicker than it charges them.
8. For every 1 hour that sit, I move around for 10 minutes — this may include going for a walk (taking the pup out for a pee!), jumping on the trampoline, practicing yoga etc.
9. I take at least 1 HR in my day for ME TIME preferably without the phone – nature walk, gym, coffee/tea break, watch my fave show (Housewives of the OC holla!) — this is a major NON-NEGOTIABLE!
10. Vitamin C, B-Complex, Magnesium — the trifecta of must-have supplements. No matter how healthy I feel, I still supplement with these three nutrients because the body can never have enough.